Here is some general information about safe storage, you might find this useful even if you are not using our service.
- Remember that all boxes need to be picked up – therefore do not make large boxes too heavy.
- Always fill the box up – placing materials between items, such as paper, blankets and towels, which will help to stabilise articles in the box – always use packing to fill out the empty pockets in the cartons.
- Always place heavy boxes at the bottom of the unit if stacking the unit high
- Remember to remove all perishable and inflammable goods… such as aerosols and batteries.
- All electrical goods such as fridges, washing machines etc. should be clean, empty and dry.
- Small electrical goods should be wrapped in original packaging or in bubblewrap before being placed into boxes.
- Excellent for pictures, photos, protecting breakables.
- Excellent for sealing boxes and securing the bubblewrap.
- Using storage boxes makes stacking easier and helps to keep all smaller articles together.
- Wardrobe Boxes are available for hanging clothes .
- Bedding, linen and drapes should be folded carefully & placed into drawers, chests or suitcases.
- A range of shelving or racking can be installed into your unit.
- A selection of locks are on sale in reception.
- Special boxes available for proper paper storage.
- Books should be packed flat in order to protect their spines.
- A layer of bubblewrap or some form of packaging should always be placed on the bottom of the box and the top.
- Each item should be individually wrapped – placing cups on the top.
- Nothing heavy should be placed on top of breakables.
- All mirrors and pictures should be wrapped and stored on their edge.
- These should be wiped with a cloth containing a few drops of machine oil – this also goes for machinery.
- Always place a board or plastic sheet on the floor and stand sofas and mattresses on their end.
- All furniture which can be disassembled should be and the legs wrapped in paper.
- Items which cannot be dissasembled can be used to store other items such as linen into chests and cartons into wardrobes.
- Materials should never be placed directly on the floor and a dustsheet should always be used to cover your furniture..